Monday, September 27, 2010

The news begins NOW, KBCO, Social Media Boulder

Sep
27
The News begins “Now”
By JannScott Posted in My Life in Boulder


Dear Internet,

We are starting a daily newscast on Boulder Channel 1 today. It will be sent to social media and we shall see. Our new news person Natalie Wood will be out and about the city every day covering local stories. But the mainstay of our news centers around stories that local and national news rarely cover: Science, technology, medicine, famine, environment, economy, education, human culture. Add to that local stories we deem important. We have a policy of non-violence reporting, including wars, car accidents, murders, fires, politics and the like.

Over the past ten years Boulder Channel 1 news has been distributed world wide with the adage “We bring you Boulder, we bring you the world.” Our viewer ship is an online audience, not traditional TV. So what does that mean? Well, viewers online are younger… 18-34 are 80 %. 35 to 90 is everyone else, including most readers of My Life in Boulder.

I personally feel a disconnect to the Twitter Facebook Billions of “kids under 30, but I suppose that doesn’t matter. My friend Bob Greenlee ran KBCO for years. Bob is a conservative Republican. KBCO is a bastion of liberal music and enormously sucessful. Richard Ray who hosted mornings on KBCO helped me when I first started in talk radio in the late 1980′s. He used to say, radio is all about perception. “What you perceive it to be” is what makes a radio station a success. It is all an illusion. Same is true with TV and social media, and our news.

Quite frankly, I am sick of the news and had all of my cable news disconnected. The only TV news i watch is NBC, CBS, ABC overnight news between 3:00 am and 5:00 am. I also watch BBC TV news and C-Span. But that is it.

from America’s most famous small city
Jann Scott
Boulder Colorado

No comments: